Friday, August 19, 2011

First day in paradise

I will admit when I arrived in Hawaii last evening... first Honolulu and then Lihue I was not very excited. The only thing I wanted was a bed to sleep in. Plus it was dark so how much can you really see? We actually got to the resort about an hour ahead of schedule so I was in that bed by 11:07 PM Hawaii time. And then the unthinkable happened, I woke up at 5:30AM and could not go back to sleep... I must have dozed back off at some point because I did finally get up at 7:00AM. Time to start exploring. We won't have a car until Saturday so all our exploring was done by walking today. The resort we are staying at is older but nice and the landscaping is just beautiful. And the beautiful blue Pacific Ocean is only about a 5 minute walk from our unit. I could sit by the ocean all day long and listen to the crashing waves and be in awe of the vastness of it. I did step into the water and it was quite cool... definitely different from the bath water temperature of the Atlantic Ocean at Myrtle Beach. Since I'm not a swimmer... I didn't want to get into the water too far since there is no lifeguard at this location. Full immersion into the Pacific will have to wait until another day.





Today was really a laid back kind of day. We walked partially along the four mile path that runs along the Pacific, walked into downtown Kapa'a which has lots of little shops and lots of traffic this time of year, and spent some quality time at the resort pool.





Now that my first day in paradise is in the books, I must say the little bit I have seen is breathtakingly beautiful.... you can stand by the ocean and look behind you and see mountains. The vegetation is lush and beautiful. Kauai is known as the Garden Island and there are I think 34 different climates on this island so I have just started to view its beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment